Saturday 28 September 2013

Cinematic Spaces: Thumbnails 1-16

For this project I was given 3 extracts from "Journey to the Center of the Earth" by Jules Verne. 

I've also decided to split each extract up and focus on one particular description at a time, do 16 thumbnails on that, move on to the next piece of description and then finally combine all the descriptions for a further 16 thumbnails. This is just so I can ensure I'll be getting well above the 100 minimum thumbnails for this project. 


Here are my first 16 based from this description in the first extract provided:

"...crystals of opaque quartz, set with limpid tears of glass, and hanging like clustered chandeliers from the vaulted roof, seemed as it were to kindle and form a sudden illumination as we passed on our way." - Journey to the Center of the Earth, Chapter XVII

I've primarily focused on different angles and views of the clusters of crystal in the cavern. 
Personal favourites from this collection is 3 & 4. I really like the view from the bottom of the crystal pit (no.3) and no.4 feels like your entering the mouth of a very toothy beast~
Another thing I did with these is slightly airbrush with over the crystals (setting the opacity low) to give them an illuminated effect which I personally think worked nicely in that aspect as well as give the caverns some depth. 

5 comments:

  1. Hey Gemma - like the way you've linked your thumbnails with a specific extract - very clear in terms of your thinking. Just a helpful tip though - all your text is aligned centrally, which gives your blog text the appearance of poetry or song lyrics. Consider using the 'justified' alignment, which you'll find under the text alignment tab and is the option with text filling the square from edge to edge. It will just make more sense of your text elements.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Phil,

      Thank you I appreciate the feedback! I think it's actually due to doing this update via my phone the format has gone like that so I'll be editing it when I'm back on my laptop

      Delete
  2. See link!

    http://ucarochester-cgartsandanimation.blogspot.co.uk/2013/09/fao-cgaa-year-1-cinematic-spaces-online.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. me again!

    http://ucarochester-cgartsandanimation.blogspot.co.uk/2013/09/fao-cgaa-year-1-revised-group-lists.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Gemma,

    Nice to see your first thumbnails. My suggestion is to think about 'space', I think the key thing is that you need to show perspective and deph. Look at feng zu tutorials. You can find them on youtube. Keep them coming! (:

    ReplyDelete